2.14.2006

Dearest dunce...

I think what had kept me from reading John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces for so long was that it was marketed (not necessarily by the publisher, but by well-meaning book pushers I've come across) as a comedy, and, worse yet, as a hippie comedy (I have trouble with poetry in LP liner notes, too). But I was finally pressured and cajoled into reading Dunces, and, having tested it on Rachel first, dove in, thank God.

And it was rewarding, in a dark, bitter way. Like Milky Way Midnight bars.

It's true that portly protagonist Ignatius finds solace in the words of Boethius, and it's true that his incredibly allusive and quasi-scholarly inner world lends depth and meaning to his daily life. But constantly the heart breaks upon realizing that it all depends on maintaining the self-delusion -- maybe the philosophy of the Consolation is just a mind fuck. Because, finally and unfortunately, I think the reader must in good conscience not only include Ignatius among the world's dunces, but must also, perhaps, accept him as the dearest and dunciest of them all.

No comments: